Wednesday, January 19, 2011

justice denied anywhere diminishes justice everywhere

Last year, I heard about the problems that Airick, a queer organizer in Portland, was having with getting justice for the queer bashing that happened to him years ago.  After hearing about his problems with the legal system at the queer forum, I think the DA started to pay more attention to his case, mainly because it was put out there by a number of sources, including myself.  Later on in the year, I got to meet Airick properly as he was organizing a queer night at Autonomy.  He's a great guy and is politically and socially-conscious-wise right in line with my line of thinking.  Yesterday, his trial finally began, although it was already flawed.  Victory was there to support him but there was only a few other people by his side and they were going to all be unable to make it today so I showed up.

The trial yesterday lasted for over eight hours in which Airick was not only subjected to the incompetence/indifference of the DA's office but also to ridiculous claims by the defense, such as Airick was a member of Hells Angels or this couldn't possibly happen in Portland because Portland is too liberal.  It was an emotionally trying day and today the verdict was supposed to be given.  The jury convened to deliberate at 9am.  I was working at my internship but had a few hours that I had worked extra last week so I was able to sneak away for two hours today.  At 11am, they were still meeting and the jury for another trial was still being selected in the same courtroom.  I had to leave but I was filled with anguish until and even after Victory texted out the verdict, Not Guilty.  Airick was put through years of frustration and days of verbal and emotional torment only to come out defeated.  It was ridiculous.  For a full account, check out Victory's report back.

While it ended up being a bad verdict, I'm glad I could be there a little of the time for Airick and I'm super-appreciative that others, such as Victory, were able to be by his side throughout the entire court proceedings.  People think that it's an equal society now that we're gaining marriage rights in certain states and since we can serve in the military but it's not.  If a bashing can be let go in Portland after it was brought up to the mayor/police chief who is also gay, then we have a long way to go before we reach equality.

No comments: