Sunday, January 30, 2011

california dreaming

On my birthday this year, this will be what I'm looking at...

I decided that I'm going to take another birthday vacation this year with Dean.  Again, I'm going to head to the beach.  I thought about going to the woods on the mountain but the cabins there are more expensive during the winter and the only forestry service cabins that have running water won't accept dogs so I'm off to the beach!

The criteria I looked for when renting a beach getaway was 1) dog-friendly (obviously) 2) cost and 3) a bathtub.  Really, the location wasn't significant.  I wanted to be able to get away from it all and just relax with my boy.  I really liked going to the woods last year so I thought it would be nice if I could find a spot where we could walk to the woods as well as the beach.  After many hours spent searching rentals, I came up with California.

Crescent City in California has the beach and the redwoods and I've only been there once before.  There was a farmhouse there for rent really cheap but it's booked up for months.  After calling a few people in Crescent City, I found a rental house that fits my price range, will take Dean, has a bath tub and is less than a block from the beach.  I like the fact that I was willing to branch out a little and leave Oregon for this trip.  That'll make it more special.

What else?
Now I have to worry about how I'm going to get there.  My car broke down while I was in Nebraska.  I have a friend who is an experienced mechanic and needs to make some money to pay her rent for her and her two sonsI asked her to come over and look at the car and she determined that it was starter.  Once I get that fixed, I'll get my car insured, tuned-up and I'll be set to go.
 

No comments: