Sunday, January 23, 2011

hopworks: more than meets the eye

Hopworks kind of epitomizes just how awesome Portland is.  It's a bar on Powell sandwiched in an area with multiple strip clubs.  That alone is enough to make me leery.  It also serves as a sports bar in that people can watch big games there.  Again, not my scene.  However, they are very bike friendly.  They have more bike parking staples outside than any other place I can recall besides the specific bike parking lots.  They also have their bar (pictured above) decorated with bike frames.  If their bike friendliness wasn't enough, they also serve daiya as a vegan option.  At first glance, this is a brewery I would expect to find in Kearney.  However, the bike and veg friendliness is an inherent and valued Portland trait which serves to remind me how glad I am that I live here.  If they were a little less gendered with their bathrooms, I would call this place home but I'll just have to give it time.

For my new thing, I went there with Jen and Justin and ate a(nother) big salad.  I'm looking forward to going back there during pizza month or maybe sooner.

What else?
My local bar, C-Bar has been serving brunch for a while now and today was the first day I tried it.  Actually, it was probably just lunch since I didn't get up until 12:30pm and I didn't get there until after that.  Their brunch menu was very standard except they have homemade veggie sausage.  In appearance, it's a far cry from sausage.  It contains corn and more closely resembles a falafel.  However, it was delicious and will definitely bring me back.

No comments: