Wednesday, January 19, 2011

buffy turns 30

This is so ridiculous that I couldn't bring myself to add it as a "What else?" to my last post.  Today, I went to the Central Library for a birthday celebration for Buffy, not the show but the character.  See, I told you it was ridiculous.  Why it was at the library I still don't know.  Buffy the show ended in May of 2003.  Years later, the creator, Joss Whedon, decided to continue the series but through comic-book form.  Today was the release of the last comic of the 'season.'  Being an eternal Buffy fan, I have read (but not bought) the comic series (thank you library).  However, I have not been happy with it and have chosen to not acknowledge it as the official story.

Regardless, today's celebration was stupid but kinda of light hearted fun.  I miss seeing Buffy at the Mission Theater when I could get together with a bunch of other fanatics and just geek out.  The room at the library actually filled to capacity (around 120 people) and there was at least another 20 people waiting to come inside.  We played Hush pictionary, inspired by one of my favorite episodes, Hush.  There was also cake.  We seriously dimmed the lights and sang happy birthday to Buffy.  At that point, fandom crossed the line into crazy town and I had to bail.

The Buffy birthday episodes were always fun though and I may watch a few tonight, just to reminisce.  Yep, I'm a dork but I'm proud.

No comments: