Wednesday, June 2, 2010

community

Tonight, I went to the new Q Center for the first time when I needed my community.  There was a community forum there to discuss queer bashings here in town.  This weekend, a group was attacked, leaving one man unconscious.  I wrote about it here.

The feeling was overwhelming, to be in such a large gathering of people with similar feelings and concerns regarding their safety, the lack of attention to the issue on the part of the police and the need for things to change.  I've struggled with the idea of "community" within the queer population here in town because it usually revolves around drinking or partying and rarely amounts to a productive community.  However, tonight I felt like the part of something.  There's going to be more forums coming up soon which I will drop everything to attend.

No comments: