Saturday, January 15, 2011

unrestrainedly

I've had the best of intentions to update my blog this week but it hasn't happened.  I'm not satisfied with writing half-ass crap just to get something out there so I'm gonna sum it up quick and then write about tonight.

On Tuesday, Jan 11, I ate at Sweet Pea Bakery for the 1st time.  I've been wearing a Sweet Pea shirt around for a while and I wanted tea so I figured I could check out the place.  It was okay.  It had some amazing looking gluten-free options.

On Wednesday, Jan 12, I used a new pull-up bar at the PSU gym.  I also think I tweaked my right arm funny.  I may need acupuncture for it.

On Thursday, Jan 13, I worked my internship.  I normally don't do Thursdays but it worked out better with everyone's schedule.  I also worked a late (and long) shift: 11am-8pm.  I haven't had to work an evening in years since I gave up my retail job.  I love doing new things but I like getting off when it's still light out.  I did get the opportunity to sit through a house meeting at the internship.  It was okay but I realized that, if I had to choose a focus between working with adults with DD or working with homeless youth, I'd definitely pick adults with DD.  Luckily, that's what I'm doing on a permanent basis.  It was good affirmation.

On Friday Jan 14, I also had one of the most disturbing encounters with one of my favorite clients.  This guy has been on an awesome streak and out of nowhere, he blows up.  He has never done this before and I had no clue what to do.  I'm used to working with a handful of folks that will freak out, throw things or get violent with others but this guy just had some serious issues with delusions that I was completely unequipped to handle.  Fortunately his mom happened to be there and was able to calm him down enough to get him home.  She also seemed thrown off by his behavior so I don't feel like such a novice but I'm still frightened for the guy.

Also on Friday, I went to a new Lebanese place Bete-Lukas for Bastard's last day in town until March.  I'm not big on spicy food so I really enjoyed the food here.  I could eat everything without having to worry about the payback in the morning.  We also checked out a different bar, North.  Yep, won't be going back. 

Tonight, though, tonight was something special.  It wasn't going to be.  I wasn't sure what I was going to do but I didn't expect this.  Sometime before 5, Justin called and said he could come pick me up if I wanted to go to Bunk Bar and Sandwiches with Sophia, Jennifer and him.  I abandoned all other intentions and decided to go along for the ride, wherever it would take me.

Bunk was okay.  The sandwich was pretty damn good but it was a little too pricey.  The place was also nice with a friendly atmosphere.  I'm pretty sure that it used to be the old Q Center though.

After Bunk, we went to the Star Bar.  It started off being really chill.  Emily joined us and we were able to just sit back and chill.  After an hour or so though, it turned into a hot spot and got loud and obnoxious.  I was ready to bail on the night there and then but that would have meant walking all the way back to my house or taking odd bus routes.

I decided to stick it out as Emily, Jennifer, Justin and I wandered around, looking for another acceptable watering hole.  We stumbled upon Ladd's Inn.  It's a tiny dive bar that I bike by a lot but never really think about visiting.  However, it's perfect.  I love this place.  The drinks were cheap, big and stiff and they had karaoke and a fun KJ.

After closing down Ladd's, we wandered over to Whiffies for some pies.  It was a blustery night but not cold.  Sitting on a picnic bench on a temperate January late night with good friends eating okay pies was just perfect.  I didn't expect this at all tonight and I'm really glad that I went in the first place and that I didn't bail early.  It was a great night.  So far, 2011 has produced some awesome Saturdays for me!

No comments: