Sunday, January 9, 2011

cyclist identity

Arturo used to call my other bike, "The Madmax Bike" or the "Thunderdome Bike" or something alluding to its post-apocalyptic appearance.  I didn't exactly intend for that to be its look.  I just kept adding stuff to it and painting it and let it evolve into the beast that it became.   With my new Jamis, I've tried to allow it to develop its own identity without simply transferring accessories from one bike to the next.  However, some things haven't worked and I realize that there are certain basics that I need in a bike like a proper ass.

I decided today that I had no choice but to get a back rack for the Jamis.  I've avoided it because I wanted this ride to be more sleek but there is no home for my U-Lock and my backside is constantly getting wet due to the inferiority of my fender.  It's not the exact same as my other bike in that I am not going to attach a retractable wire basket to the rack with zip-ties.  Instead, I'm going to give the cargo net a try.  Once again, I took the bike to Seven Corners and once again, they gave me the four-star treatment, not charging me for labor and getting it installed quickly.  When I got it back home, I went to spray-paint it because the silver rack seemed to shine too much but then I thought better of it and decided to let it change with the rest of the bike naturally.

What else?
I had the Yummy French Toast today at Juniors for the 1st time.  It's french toast, yogurt, almond slivers, bananas and honey.  It may have forever altered my negative opinion of Juniors.

No comments: