Tuesday, November 2, 2010

back splash

Today I bought and hooked on a rear fender for my tire to prevent my backside from getting wet.  Woooo, I'm living on the edge now.

What else?
 But this is what I really wanted to write about.  I am starting to learn to keep my opinions to myself.  I have a very rigid barometer for what I believe to be right and wrong.  For example, take the music at my internship.  One of the residents in particular likes to listen to misogynistic rap which I feel is wrong.  It's not okay to talk about women using the B word and saying how you're gonna treat them like shit and hit em.  That's just wrong.  It's been probably my biggest complaint because we also espouse to be a safe space free of oppression.  Degrading women, even if it is to a catchy beat and even if it is 'just a song' is oppressive.  However...I'm learning that I've got to pick my battles.

The residents have had some messed up stuff happen to them and they don't come to this program for PC Education 101.  They come so they can gain the skills, experience, education and savings to eventually sustain themselves in a healthy manner.  While it would be great if they didn't listen to that crap, it's also a lesson for another time.  If I have the opportunity to speak to them casually but frankly about the music, I'll take it but I'm going to not push it for the time being.

In fact, I'm going to become a little less pushy with my own agendas in dealing with many people in my life about many things.

That all being said, I did really enjoy my internship today.  Having a great co-worker around for guidance and to talk to makes it so much more worthwhile.

No comments: