Monday, August 1, 2011

catechism cafe

August got off to a roaring start.

Lately, I've been really missing going to drag shows and I've been meaning to make it to one. Also, yesterday, Sophia and I were talking and I was hankering for a BBQ. Well, today, I got all of that and more at this month's Catechism Cafe. Sister Krissy Fiction of the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence was having her 40th birthday and decided to use the party to raise money for Phame, the performing arts group for people with disabilities for which Jessica works. That's so awesome. Over $1600 for raised for Phame which is completely awesome, especially because Sister Krissy just wanted to give back and this is the first non-exclusive-LGBTQ group that the Sisters have raised money for.

The party was fun! They had a BBQ at Crush and were kind enough to make vegetarian options for Sophia and me. They had other BBQ options like macaroni salad and watermelon slices. Plus, they had vegan gelato which was nothing short of divine. As Sophia said, it was worth the price of admission just by itself. There were a few drag performances including a queen doing 'Beaver' instead of 'Fever' which was just hilarious. Also, one of the students from Phame performed several gay classics (Somewhere Over the Rainbow, Cabaret, etc) acapella. He did a great job and even came out in drag for his last number.

It was a unexpectedly fun night. I was going mainly to support Jess but I stayed because I loved it all; the drag, the food, the fun and the cause.

No comments: