Tuesday, August 16, 2011

seein sia

As you may recall, a few months ago I finished Six Feet Under and wrote that I cried during the last six minutes. I give a lot of credit for those tears to Sia and her beautiful song, Breathe Me. Shortly afterwards, Martin sent out a message, saying Sia was going to be in town and I committed to going. I can't say that I was a big Sia fan before the show. I love the song Breathe Me and, a few days before the show, I started listening to her music more on Pandora and Jango. However, I knew in my heart that I was going just to see Breathe Me. Therefore, it figures that she wouldn't sing that song until her encore and even then as the last song. I also had to see two opening bands before she even started to perform. Really though, I think I enjoyed one of the opening bands, Oh Land, just as much if not more than Sia.

First up was Ximena, the artist in the third picture from the top. She was sweet but there really wasn't a lot of instrumentation in her sound. Oh Land, the second picture from the top, was awesome. She reminded me of Goldfrapp but was consistently dancey. She also pandered to the crowd a lot more than Goldfrapp did when I saw her so long ago. I could swear that she also pointed directly at me in one of her songs when she said something about rainbows. I was wearing my rainbow shirt at the time so it made sense and I was definitely visable from the stage. Afterwards, I bought her album and she just happened to come up to the merch counter then so she offered to sign it for me. It's the first thing that I've had signed that's not a book, I believe.

Sia was awesome and fun too though. I found myself surprisingly familiar with her songs and she also covered Madonna's Oh Father which is one of my favorite Madonna songs. Plus Breathe Me was pretty damn awesome, although I didn't cry this time.

No comments: