Saturday, August 13, 2011

how i spent my summer vacation

Today felt a lot more like a vacation than the last few days have been. There was no pre-scheduled get-together, no plans, no limits. My parents suggested that I do what I want to do so I rented a bike from the hostel and biked over 31 miles around the city.
I started off my busing back from downtown where we all perused the Saturday Market. Then, from the hostel, I biked to Kincaid park which was beautiful. I got down close to the water where I was sure a bear was going to come out and chase me into the mud where I would sink to my untimely doom. Fortunately, that didn't happen and I was able to bike up to Point Woronzof (pictured in the first pic above) which had an awesome overlook into the bay and the city. I continued along the coastal trail, stopped in at Snow Creek Cafe (again) and then biked up north along the Ship Creek Bike trail. I came back downtown after hitting a dead end and ended up biking to my parent's hotel. After we went out for dinner, we came back to the hotel and I biked home to the hostel.

It was great. I love my family and it's been nice to spend time with my parents up here but I am an introvert by nature which means I need alone time to recharge my batteries. Today, I was fully charged and biking around on a natural high. I wish I would have seen more wildlife but at least I got to see a lot more of the area. There are some more pics below my What else? section.

What else?
For dinner, we went to the Snow Goose Restaurant and Brewery. I was still full from my biscuits and gravy at Snow Creek but I was plenty thirsty and the beer there was wonderful. Okay, here are the pics:

Here's a panoramic view from Kincaid Park. It doesn't really do it justice.

And this is the Ship Creek Bike trail. It was cool to see a different part of Anchorage which this definitely was.

No comments: