Saturday, August 20, 2011

preparing for 90

Today was the hottest day of the year so far in Portland. I think it may have gotten to 90. One of my co-workers is originally from Oklahoma and said that it got to be around 115 degrees there. That's insane. I complained today that it was too hot and Ashes, Victory, Raven and I all headed out to Oneanta Gorge to save ourselves.

It was awesome! I love the hike in there with the log jam and the deep pools in the cavern. It was too deep in parts for most people to touch the bottom and they had swim it. Raven and I tried to climb the rock walls over the deepest pool but you could only go so far so I gave up and dove in. Ashes said that I let out the loudest, highest pitch scream that the Gorge has ever heard because it was damn cold. I also lost my sandal. I started looking around the bottom for it, dreading the seemingly inevitable dive to the bottom to look for it. Fortunately, it floats and some guy down the way found it for me.

What else?
 On our way back from the Gorge, we stopped by Ashes' parents' house where Raven showed me his treehouse there. He and his cousins hang out in there and have even slept in there. It reminded me of the fort that my sister, my cousins and I had at my grandparents' farm. While I was back in Alaska, my aunt, uncle, dad and one of my cousins reminisced with me about the fort. My cousin Tesha reminded me how I pulled a dead chicken out of the bare-bones spring mattress that we wanted to use for our fort. As a reward, they made me a certificate for doing the deed.

It was nice seeing Ashes' parents again. Since I moved out of the house, I don't get to see them very often. While we were there, his mom had us move a treadmill from downstairs to the garage. I was happy to do it just because they're good people.

And...
 I also went to 442, Portland's best soccer bar to watch the Timbers game. We won and it's an awesome bar with great atmosphere. I think we'll be watching games there from now on.

Afterwards, I went to see TrollHunter with Dominic, Jesse, Sophia and her friends. I've been wanting to see it for a while and I think I let my expectations get too high. Still, it was pretty cool.

Overall, just a stellar day!!!

No comments: