Sunday, August 28, 2011

it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood

This neighborhood in which I live feels more like a neighborhood than any other place I've lived in since I was a kid. In western Nebraska, the towns were all too small. In college, I wasn't really comfortable enough with people to be neighborly. In my apartment here, I didn't like my neighbors at all. In my last house, the neighbor were fine but the location didn't lend itself to a neighborhood feel. It was nice being at the end of a dead-end street but it meant a lot of people didn't pass by and, if they did, they were transitory people temporarily living in the apartments next door. Here, there's something lovely and peaceful about the neighborhood but also busy. It's kind of perfect.
Since I got my hammock, I've been all about the back porch of the house. Today, I moved to the front and got some front porch furniture so I could see more of the neighbors and feel more like part of the neigborhood. Jess and I walked around the Hawthorne St Fair after I got helped my hangover via brunch at big Jam. At the street fair, we found Rubber Redone where I saw some furniture made from recycled tires that I kind of love. After riding through the Sunday Parkways and watching a band perform at the neighbors, I took Dean back to the Fair where I bought the furniture. They delivered it later on. Originally, I thought it'd be too big for the front porch so I was going to move it out back but it fits perfect. Yay!

No comments: