Friday, July 1, 2011

like a G-6

On Wednesday, I came home from work to find that my computer had updated itself, restarted itself and was stuck. This is as a result of the virus that appeared on my computer a year and a half ago. It invaded my boot-up systems and the anti-virus programs have all said that they have to reboot to fix the problem but they can't successfully reboot due to the problem. It's so damn frustrating.

I fought with it all evening Wednesday and on Thursday. I tried to restore it from 12 different restore points in the thing but it wouldn't take. I tried every other option it gave to me to fix it and when that didn't work, I brought the machine to work and had Ashes give it a go. Nothing was working and I was all out of ideas. Luckily, I had everything backed up from my last virus scare so I even had the option to wipe it completely. For some reason, that wouldn't take either though. Since it was all backed up, I just decided to replace the whole damned thing.

Laptop's should last longer than two years but my Acer isn't completely useless. Ashes is willing to keep trying to work on it so I can eventually sell it. In the meantime, I bought a HP Pavillion G6. It has Microsoft 7 on it so it's hard to say if I like the machine a lot more or just that I like 7 more than I liked Vista (which I truly hated). Anyway, I had received my check from work for my last quarter of school for the year so I had some cash on me and I think it was a good investment...and a fun new toy!

No comments: