Monday, July 11, 2011

never where

The nice thing about the Oregon Country Fair is that it has gotten better every year for me. However, that also means that it's harder to leave every year.

I finished Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere on the road back. I absolutely recommend it. It was a beautifully written, whimsical adventure and the end packed a particularly powerful punch because it mirrored my own feelings around leaving the fair. Without giving anything away, when I got to Portland, I was metaphorically scratching doors into brick walls, begging for someone to let me back in.

Not since Europe 2006 has a departure been so hard for me. I'm hoping that I can adjust better than I did to returning from Europe that year though. In 2006, I pretty much blamed everyone and everything for me having to be here instead of Europe. I caught a glimmer of hope though this evening as Sophia and I drove to meet up with friends at Hungry Tiger Too. A guy on a red scooter with a side car passed us by and he had a black lab sitting in the side car wearing red goggles. If I can't live at the fair, at least I can live in Portland.

What else?
I had my last meal at Hungry Tiger Too today. We ordered the Tofualo Wings today (the vegetarian Buffalo Wings). However, they came with a leg of a chicken in the basket. My biscuits were also burned on the bottom and the scramble just tasted off. Maybe, just maybe, I'll go back there for the vegan corndogs but I think they must cook everything together if we ended up with an animal appendage in our food.

No comments: