Saturday, July 23, 2011

reaquaintance

 
I haven't seen Andrew since I before I got Shingles. It's been eight weeks since our last date. Some of my friends told me that he was probably wondering why I hadn't been contacting him. Really, he had my number but it was debatable who initiated contact last so I thought maybe it was my turn and maybe he was waiting on me. Therefore, I contacted him last week and asked if he wanted to see Trek in the Park since we had talked about that on our last date. He said sure and named today as a time to do so.

He made it sound really casual and I thought maybe this was just a friend thing. Hell, I was prepared for him to bring a new guy that he may have been seeing. Well, none of the above happened. He hadn't been waiting by the phone for me to call. He also didn't bring another guy. He brought a former coworker but they were just friends. After Trek (which I will write about tomorrow), we went to dinner (Tofu and Eggplant in Garlic Sauce!!) and then to a house party.

I hate house parties typically and that's even when I know most of the people there. Not only was this a house party where I wouldn't know anybody but Andrew but it was a house party hosted by a friend of his ex-boyfriend's who was going to be there with his new boyfriend. This is one of those occasions that I will look at years down the road and think, 'Wow, I can't believe I ever said yes.' Surprisingly, I am very glad that I did. It was an enjoyable and memorable experience.

The house party was close to my home so I thought I could bail if it ended up being too uncomfortable. It was a late solstice party so there was a lot of woo-woo stuff involving goddesses and fire. I am used to a fair amount of odd but this was new. A lady did 'The Great Sperm Dance' which involved her putting on a big cloth hat shaped like a sperm, running around the bonfire and then she started doing the breakdance, the Worm, in the yard. There was more involving wedding rings, spraying the crowd and lighting erect effigies on fire but let's just say it was oddly fun. Andrew and I ended up heading off to a room in the house to talk and the rest of the party ended up finding us. His ex Mark and Mark's boyfriend Craig were really nice and so was the host Cynthia.

While it definitely was not what I was expecting for the night, it was a great time. I'm glad Andrew wasn't hanging by the telephone, waiting for me to call but I'm glad he did want to see me again. I don't think I'll let another eight weeks go by before contacting him again.

No comments: