Thursday, July 28, 2011

when trees fall

Shortly after I moved to Portland, I found a group of friends who were mad as hell and not going to take it anymore. We were ready to rally, prepared to protesting and fit to fight. I guess that's what comes with time. People got into relationships, fell out of relationships, fell off the wagon, got into work and basically became overwhelmed and out of steam. It's sad but that's the toll time can take.

For me, school is what happened. I've done very little since starting school. I'll go to protests here and there but there was a time when I wouldn't miss a thing. I can't say that anymore. I was reminded of how far I've fallen today by watching the documentary, "If a Tree Falls: The Story of the Earth Liberation Front." It's inspirational to see what Daniel McGowan was doing and the drive he had during his protest days. However, it seemed like he changed his focus and his tactics even before he was caught like I feel so much of us have done. He went to work for a legitimate non-profit and started focusing on his personal life like most of the rest of my friends.

I went to the documentary today with Arturo and Max. It was great to see them again and to see a great movie with them. We walked around NW 23rd afterwards and I went to Escape from NY Pizza for the first time, although just to use their bathrooms. We sat in Couch Park while it got dark because nobody felt like drinking. It was nice and reminiscent of a time when hanging out didn't have to involve a bar.

What else?
I had another nice walk with Dean on Tabor today, trying a different route. I think I like our regular route better but maybe I just need to head out earlier so we have more time in the park.


No comments: