Friday, September 14, 2007

vision quest


Whenever I think of the 'future', I think of hover boards and flying cars but today, I sat through took part in the 'future.'

My eye surgery was weird. I haven't been through a major surgery before so it could just be that's how a lot of surgeries go but I think it was more mechanized than most. To be honest, I don't know what exactly it was that they did. I know they were supposed to create a flap in my cornea so they could shoot a laser through it and then they resealed the flap which comes back together naturally.

What I could tell was happening was the following: they put a clamp on my eye (like Clockwork Orange) and a red light kept a continuous flash on the lighting structure above me. White lights around it got more intense and they kept putting drops in my eyes to keep it moist. My eyes were also numb and dilated at this point so it was painless. I felt pressure on my eye as they placed something over it and there was kind of a suction. There was a machine to the right of me which had an image on it that fluctuated every time I looked at it so I can only assume that it was a enlargement of my eye. A loud female computerized voice kept saying things like "Scan complete." I think an instrument like a fine knife or something went over my eye and everything went black even though I know my eyes were open (they had a patch over my other eye). Then I heard something like a zapping (the laser) and the female voice counted down saying "45 seconds remaining. 25% complete" until it finally announced that the surgery was complete. When they moved to my other eye, they did the same thing but I could see a purple twinkling halo around a central red light when the laser was going off.

The whole thing was pretty quick. They gave me a valium (YAY) to help me sleep because they wanted me to rest for 4-5 hours. A few more valium would have helped but they weren't that generous. Afterwards my eyes were pretty dry and I kept them closed and was led to the car by Ashes. When I got home, I put my goggles on and slept for 3 & 1/2 hours. My eyes felt better after my lubricating drops which I have to take every 30 minutes for a week. I also have two other drops that I have to take 4 times a day for a week. And I have to sleep with goggles on for a week. It sounds like a lot but really it's not that invasive and my sight is good and getting better by the minute!

No comments: