Tuesday, September 25, 2007

a click away

Small town life has its pluses and its minuses. I loved the intimacy of it all. You know your neighbors, your neighbors dogs, your neighboring town's residents. All that jazz. However, life can be pretty isolating when you grow up in small town in the middle of nowhere. I always felt really out of touch with everything, having to rely on the distortion of mass media for any inkling of outside culture.

It's crazy how much the internet can help rectify that problem now. I know everyone may not have internet access and may not have the freedom to search where they want but the possibility is there. Who we are is shaped by what we know and if we're not given all of the information possible, how can we possibly be sure who we are?

Today, I found a great source of music to choose from. Music has always been an endless pursuit of mine. I don't need to find what's hot and popular right now. I just want to find a new sound to move to. I've had i-tunes on my computer for a while and I just discovered that they have numerous free radio stations. This may be a "duh" point for a lot of people and "ho-hum" for others but for me, it means so many more ways to discover little pleasures and parts of myself.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Question...Did you draw the elephant?!

topher darling said...

No, my friend Arturo drew it on a sidewalk. Nice, huh?

Lynnett said...

I was wondering about the elephant too...it's really quite nice.