Sunday, September 23, 2007

best park to stash a body


I rely on Dean a LOT to look out for my best interest. We wander into some pretty sketchy areas where I just trust that he'll be on alert and let me know if there's any reason we shouldn't be there.

Today we went to Kelly Butte Park for the first time. I was sure that we were going to stumble upon a dead body. The hike in the park is on a badly maintained path through cobwebs and past deserted homeless encampments. There were no signs labeling it as a park. The name and address was listed in Dean's "Doing the Northwest with Your Pooch" book so we went there.

Besides my dog, I also rely too much on male privilege. In other words, if I was a woman, I would have had to be SO much more confident in my ability to defend myself before I would have braved this area. I only saw one other group of people there. There were teenage boys that jumped off path as soon as they saw Dean and then me. I wondered what they were doing at first but then their coughing gave it away. I don't think they posed a threat. Still, if they weren't blazing away, the situation would have been more sketchy, especially for a female. Leave me a note if you think that's sexist.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's totally true. It's always in the back(or the front depending on the situation) of my mind when going somewhere alone. I take note of my surroundings, exits, potential weapons, etc.