Saturday, September 1, 2007

not the marrying types


One can overlook the fact that they are single until they go to a wedding and everyone seems to have paired off. That's one reason that I usually cringe at the idea of going to weddings. I love my family and I'm happy for them in the decisions they make. My family is very catholic though so marriage is an expectation. However, with my friends, it's different. I have a broad spectrum of friends with a wide range of age, gender, class and orientation. And my friends don't often get married.

I'm at the age (a little past it actually) where, according to societal standards, all of my friends SHOULD be getting married. However, since I've lived in Portland and started hanging out with the crew that I do, I've only been to five wedding-like functions here. I like that.

Today, I went to a "wedding-like function" for my friend Chaela. She had a small private wedding ceremony and then a larger wedding reception the next day at a church I have never been to before today. It was a nice reception and I enjoyed myself because my friend network does not enforce the idea that you really should get married or at least couple. A lot of my friends are single and are comfortable that way. Me too.

I do LOVE my married friends. Two of my best friends are married. I love them as a couple and as individuals. It's just nice that, with my friends, marriage is an option but not an expectation.