Monday, September 3, 2007

oneanta


Whenever it gets too hot, we head for Oneanta Gorge. It's this cool cut in the side of the Columbia River Gorge, just past Multnomah Falls. It was a rough winter for the forest areas so the landscape of the gorge changed quite a bit. There has been a log jam in the gorge for as long as I've been going there but it was quite a bit bigger this time and the boulders that hold the logs in shifted as well. It ended up making it really difficult to get Dean onto the start of the log jam. He had to swim in waist-deep water over to me so I could pick him up and hoist him onto a boulder. Once he was on the jam, he channeled his billy goat persona and hopped right over the logs with hardly any problems.

We hiked down the gorge to the waterfall at the end.
When we got there, it was just Dean and I for a while. The air was gusting off of the falls and I stood there and took it all in. Everyone else caught up with us and we stood there and admired the falls for a while. When we were getting ready to leave, I looked at the falls with longing and went right back, jumped in and swam underneath the falls for the first time. I looked back and saw Dean following me. I swam right underneath and watched the frigid water fall on me. It was exhilarating. I love Oregon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet! I'm so happy that y'all introduced me to Oneonta Gorge ... shit, like, 3 years ago! I don't think I've been there since, but swimming in the frigid water under the waterfall is was one of the best memories I have of Oregon.

Sarah said...

We stopped at Multnomah Falls when we were out there last month. It is a beautiful area!!