Wednesday, December 22, 2010

the ninjabread men

A few weeks ago, Felicia Day from the Whedonverse retweeted pictures of these cookie cutters.  Not only do I consider myself to be ninja (as opposed to pirate) but I also adore the name 'Ninjabread Men.'  Also a few weeks ago, I saw the ninjabread men cookie cutters at Powells.  I didn't buy them then and they sold out shortly afterwards.  They had been out for a while and I had people checking in for me periodically.  They finally came in this week so today I got baking.

I was compromised on some of the ingredients, mainly the type of flour.  I used flour that I helped harvest a while ago.  It's cool because it had more of a personal touch but smoother flour would have been better.  However, I didn't compromise on using our rolling pin which had designs carved into it.  I bought a new one and also some parchment paper.  It was my first time using parchment paper or cookie cutters.

They turned out okay.  Next time, I'll use two 1/4 inch books to put on either side of the dough so it stays level.  I'll also use smoother flour and freeze the rolled out dough before I start cutting the cookies.  Once I get those things down, I think I'll have this recipe down.

No comments: