Thursday, July 1, 2010

1st thursday

I took art classes all throughout high school.  My art teacher was very supportive although I really don't think I had a lot of talent.  It was still fun and it gave me a good creative outlet.

Today, I struggle with finding art unpretentious.  I find a lot of art amazing but a lot of artists and art aficionados annoying.  I think a lot of that is insecurities regarding my own creativity combined with the idea that art does hardly anything to advance the well-being of the oppressed and the planet.  That being said, once I feel comfortable with artists, I adore them.

Al's work is a good example of what can be oh-so-right with art.  His imagery conveys a very distinct, strong political message, even though it may leave a little open to interpretation.  I headed down to Autonomy tonight for First Thursday.  I've only been down to First Thursday once or twice before.  I went through a lot of galleries today and almost bought a bike shirt at one place but then I realized that I could make it.  It was a simple design and I've done screen printing.  I wouldn't use the same design because it's someone else's and it wasn't that great.  I may have to creative soon and print.

No comments: