Thursday, January 28, 2010

leaders, advisers, clients and dependents

I met with my college adviser for the first time today.  Next week we have a placement fair which will determine where I do my internship next year so I had some questions for him like, "How the hell is this gonna work?"  He told me that it's 16 hours a week during the weekdays.  Maybe it could be only 10 hours a week but that would mean that I would have to work at the internship over breaks and summer and it would be up to the site to determine.

I was really nervous about discussing this with my boss and my supervisor so I did it as soon as I could in order to get it over with.  They first asked if I could do the internship at my place of work and I informed them of the prerequisites for placement agencies which my workplace didn't meet.  So they said, "Well, we'll work with it then."  They weren't upset and they weren't going to make me work overtime or weekends.  We discussed how I could reduce my caseload to make it easier on me even.  I have the best bosses anywhere.  I also decided that I would have to stick with the four-year program instead of getting this done in three years.  Doing it in three years would mean 16 hours of internship my last two years along with at least two classes each quarter.  Add CARF (work's every 3 year accreditation) on top of all that my third year and I would lose my mind.  Four is definitely better.

What else?
Part of making my job easier is shifting around a number of my clients so we can all get what we want.  They'll be in stores that better fit their needs and I'll ultimately end up with less people.  I toured with my client and their guardian through a different store today.  Fortunately, it's not my store. :)

I walked Dean down to the vet clinic to weigh in.  He's been dieting since we last went to the vet clinic and they told us to not constantly keep his food bowl full.  He's lost only a few pounds but it's enough to drop him under what qualifies as "obese."

No comments: