Saturday, January 23, 2010

it's seattle!

If I had to move from Portland today, I would probably go to Seattle.  Despite it's lack of parking and crazy hills for biking, it's a pretty fabulous city.
It's a relatively new city for me that I've only visited three times previously (and only stayed overnight in once) so there were plenty of new things for me to do.  I started off the day with the most obvious new thing, go up the Space Needle.  It's great to be able to see the city at 520 feet.  It probably would have been better if it wasn't cloudy out but it is Seattle.

After paying for a hotel room, I decided to get all of my money's worth and indulge in their continental breakfast.  However, I was the only one up at the time so we had to go somewhere else for food afterwards.  Food has been difficult for us with the dietary restrictions/preferences within our household and going to a different city didn't make it any easier last night.  We drove around a lot trying to find food and ended up having to hit numerous places and putting together a half-ass meal.  Breakfast made up for it though at the Wayward Cafe.  Their biscuits and gravy beat any Portland b&g.

It was also Raven's first time in Seattle.  His enthusiasm and awe were contagious.  In order for him to see some of the sites quickly, we went to Pikes Place Market and walked around.  At work, there's a video that we've had to watch in trainings all about the Fish Market at Pikes Place and about how these guys make a shitty job fun.  While everyone else was in a fragrance store, I went to watch them.  They are probably the most entertaining fish mongers anywhere.

And then there was the baby shower.  I adore Josie and I think Micheal's great so I couldn't be happier for them.  Damn, they're gonna be awesome parents together!  It was so wonderful traveling to see Josie with the Portland crew.  I love that so many people came up for the shower.  It was crazy watching the baby dance around in Josie though.
After the baby comes, I'm going to come back and visit.  Maybe I'll just take the train up here.  Josie and I keep trying to make plans for a walking tour of Seattle.  Knowing that there's gonna be a baby here too in the very near future just makes the city that much more attractive.

What else?
Dean was over-excited when we got back.  A friend was looking after him but he still missed us so I took him out to Potato Champion's where we met some fellow travelers when we got back.  I am definitely going back to Cartopia but not for the fries, for the fried pies!

No comments: