Monday, January 18, 2010

write on

Today, I saw someone I know live one of my dreams and I'm kind of glad that it was him and not me.

From an early age, I believed I wanted to be a writer.  I was an avid reader as a kid and I had an overactive imagination so I thought that would easily translate into writing.  I took creative writing classes in high school and majored in English in college.  I took poetry classes, advanced writing classes, served on the editorial board of the University's literary journal (which I did poorly) and even submitted some of my stories to magazines for publication.  Nothing was ever published and I never really found the ability to complete even a short story outside of college.  I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Magpie is touring with his book on the history of anarchism.  Personally, it's not my bag.  I'm not a history buff.  However, I thought his presentation at Powells Bookstore tonight was well done and well received by the absolutely full reading room.  It was a bit too full so I took Raven to another room so we could read comic books.

I really think that I'm happy with the path I've chosen.  Maybe if I'd pursued writing more and fought to make it into the business, I'd be happy there too.  I just feel that I'm doing something more substantial here.

What else?
Before the presentation, we went to the Vegetarian House and I got "Ham"-fried rice for the first time.  Classy as I am, I ate half of it during the presentation.  While leaving, a guy on the street corner tried to sell us a plastic rose or something like that for a dollar.  When we said no thanks, he asked if I could spare my supper.  It was good but I think that I ate my money's worth out of it so I gave him the other half.  I hope he enjoyed it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I consider, that you are mistaken. I suggest it to discuss. Write to me in PM.