Tuesday, August 14, 2007

no power in the 'verse can stop me

I DO hate TV. I hate commercials and I hate the persistent sexism and heterosexism that is so prevalent in mainstream media. However, there are certain shows I like. I appreciate good writing and cool action scenes. I don’t usually watch shows on TV though. I will download them and watch them without the ads. They are much more tolerable that way.

I know it’d be all bad-ass of me to say ‘Fuck TV’ altogether but I love Battlestar Galactica, Lost and Heroes. However, there was never as sharp of dialog as there was in Joss Whedon’s shows Firefly and Buffy. Yes, I am a big damn dork but I can recite lines from random Buffy episodes. Firefly was awesome and it was put down before it’s time because it was so awesome and because they put it on a bad night to try to get viewers. But there are still legions of fans out there, even though it didn’t make it one full season and last night, I hung out with a selection of them.

The Mission theater downtown showed three Buffy episodes a week last year until they got through the whole series. Seeing the musical episode there was amazing. This summer, the Mission is showing two episodes of Firefly every Tuesday. I went to it for the first time and participated in Firefly trivia. I didn’t win anything but that’s because I didn’t get called on, not because I didn’t know the answers. Like I said, big damn dork.

No comments: