Tuesday, August 21, 2007

it's not easy eating green

When I cook, I still add a “meat” even though I’m a vegetarian. By “meat” I mean soy chicken, tempeh, tofu, veggie sausage or textured vegetable protein. It’s weird how we still cling to old habits like that.

Tonight, I made a pesto pasta with green beans and potatoes for the first time. It was okay but nothing spectacular. I had an excess of green beans and potatoes at the house and a hankering for pasta so that’s what I went with. The recipe didn’t call for any veggie meat and I didn’t have any that would taste good so I made it without any. There’s some protein in there with the cheese I put in the pasta but it’s wasn’t quite the same. It’s strange because it’s all vegetables anyway. I guess these are the concepts (meat for supper) that we’re raised with that are difficult to shake even though we have a completely different diet.

No comments: