Friday, August 3, 2007

my first

I was going to blog about this funky soy fish I had for the first time but Arturo told me that was a cop out so here we go:

When I first came to Portland five years ago, I had one goal in mind: go to a gay bar. I can't remember what made me choose Silverados but it was the first gay bar I stepped foot in. Damn, I was nervous. I remembered the fear of the unknown. However, as soon as I stepped in, that emotion was replaced with comfort. I was taking comfort in the fact that for the first time ever, I knew I was in a bar where I was not going to get my ass kicked for being different. If you're not queer, it's hard to explain the sense of relief and utter joy I felt.

Being my first, Silverados has always had a special place in my heart. I have a hate/love relationship with it now after five years. I love it for it's debauchery and I hate it for it's queer conformity. Everybody is too damn clean cut there! Sadly, Silvers only has one more month to go and then it closes. Some entity of gentrification bought the building and is kicking them out. I went back tonight because I haven't been there in a while and I'm really quite sad that it's leaving. With it gone, there will be no more gay strip joints. I know that sounds really superficial of me but it sucks, especially when Portland is the strip club capital of the US.

So tonight, for the first time, I introduced myself to one of the main-stays of Silverados over the last five years, Trevor. Trevor was the first bartender in Portland to get my drink ready before I ordered it. I've known Trevor for five years now and I introduced myself to him for the first time tonight. Silvers is supposedly going to move to a new location. However, the move-out date is only a month away and they don't have a new place yet so I'm not holding my breath and I'm saying my goodbyes now.

About the picture, it's not mine. Silvers has a policy about not taking pictures. So I was FORCED to take one off their website to illustrate my blog. They shouldn't be upset. It's free advertising after all and they can use all the help they can get right now.

No comments: