Wednesday, August 1, 2007

the independents


I developed a love of independent films when I worked at Hastings Video Store in Nebraska. My boss DJ always would talk about how he'd love to buy a theater in town and play old classics and independent films only. Instead, one of the theaters in town was bought and turned into a dentist office. What a waste.

Portland is arguably the independent theater capital. As I said, I'm a big fan of the independent flicks and I have yet to make it to each theater that shows them. Tonight, I made it to one more for the first time. I went to Cinema 21 to watch "
Tekkon Kinkreet" which was a sweet although predictable and simple japanese animation film. I liked it but I did feel like I was watching a marathon of a Liquid MTV show. The price of the movie was higher than I'm used to paying for theaters in town but I guess it's worth it if it keeps them open.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Cinema 21 has higher rent than any of the others. I remember fondly the first independent film I saw was in that theater. It was "Julia". Such a great film. I don't think it ever made it to video though cuz I haven't been able to find it anywhere.