Saturday, June 18, 2011

starting my solitary stint

Right now, two of my best friends are working security for my favorite party in town on it's best night of the year and I could get in free.  Right now, thousands of people are biking naked in what was one of my favorite moments from last year.  I'm stuck in my house because my body has turned against me.

I don't think I've ever had a real disease before.  I think I had walking pneumonia once before but that's fairly common.  Plus it really puts you down and out.  Shingles doesn't really incapacitate me but it is more contagious and more rare.  Therefore, I've decided to seclude myself.

Sophia went away for the weekend and half of next week.  When she told me months ago that she had booked this trip, I said, 'Damn, you won't be around for WNBR but Hot Damn, I'll have the house to myself for pride weekend.  This isn't how I thought I'd spend it.  Still, it turns out that it's a good thing she's gone.  I'm not in a place physically where I can be really social.  I'm trying not to think about my aching side which has meant either distracting myself from reality through a low dosage of oxycotin or watching the fourth season of Six Feet Under.

Since she's gone and I don't run the risk of getting anyone else sick while I'm in the house, I'm just going to stay here.  I'll e-mail my boss in the morning and tell her I'm at least not coming in on Monday but possibly not on Tuesday or Wednesday either.  The doctor didn't say I had to stay home but I do have a contagious disease.  I don't know at work who has or hasn't had chicken pox before.  I also don't know who's pregnant or who has HIV.  I don't want to be the plague dog that infects the whole office.  I don't even want to be responsible for one more person getting sick.  Plus, I'm in pain and a lack of movement definitely agrees with me right now.

Rather than wallow though, I think I'll try to use the time to write or read when I have the energy.  When not, I'll watch movies but I did take today and catch up on this blog.  I also went back and wrote some entries for May, catching up the 18th (entitled gimme shelter) thru the 24th (entitled avoiding the office water cooler).  Feel free to check it out if you're so inclined.  I don't know how many people if any would but it's okay.  It's really just for my referencing anyway.  Plus, it's helping to look back at May because it really was a fun and exciting month for me.  I need to know that I did just have a good time to prepare me for the days of solitude awaiting me.

Who knows though?  I haven't had a significant time away from it all since my birthday and I'm able to basically just chill out in the comfort of my home now so it may not be so bad.  Like I said, I'm not incapacitated so I may be able to get some stuff done around here that I've been putting off for the last few weeks.  Eh, we'll see what it brings.

What else?
I had the Super Falafel today at the Mediterranean cart nearby.  My new things will most likely not be fascinating for the next several entries so I may just exclude them all together and allow myself just to write.  Hope that's okay.

No comments: