Monday, June 13, 2011

new ways to embarrass old dogs

Yesterday, I took Dean back to the old house for a visit since he has been gone for a week.  He enjoyed seeing everyone again but I think he really missed the carpet.  I watched him go to lay down in carpet and noticed that he walks his front paws down so he can end up in a laying position.  At the new house, he lowers himself slightly and then just sort of throws his hip to the ground with a resounding thud.  He already has hip issues that I don't want him to exacerbate so I sought a solution today.

We went to the Portland Pet Supply store for the first time which is only a few blocks from the new house and I bought him padded socks.  I don't think he likes them but I think he may eventually get used to them.  Once he stopped walking all stupid, he began to walk with more confidence as he finally had some traction in his step.  I still will probably be buying more rugs for the house but I think that socks (or possibly shoes since he's learned how to take his socks off) will help him adjust.

No comments: