Thursday, June 16, 2011

shingles

Crap. I've got shingles. This weekend is the busiest weekend of the year with Pride, Pedalpalooza, potlucks and the World Naked Bike Ride and I have shingles.

Shingles is akin to chicken pox and typically occurs with seniors.  I don't know how I contracted it but I'm distraught.  After hearing the symptoms, my co-worker looked at my rash and quickly diagnosed it as shingles.  She said she had it a few years ago (and she's a few years younger than me).  I went to Urgent Care at Kaiser and they verified that it was shingles.  Fortunately, I caught it in time where it can be treated with anti-viral meds.  Unfortunately, I can't hang around select people, including pregnant women, people who are HIV positive and people who haven't had the chicken pox before.  That's a lot of people so I'm pretty much going to isolate myself for a while....during my favorite weekend of the year.  This isn't fair.

What else?
 They gave me Oxycotin to help with the pain.  I don't know if I've ever had it before but it definitely helped with the pain...and the worry and the self-pity.  I took Dean out for a walk and we ended up going into Buffalo Exchange where they allow you to bring your well-behaved dog in.  Dean was pretty well-behaved and I bought a new shirt so I'd call it a successful outing.

My housemate got off of a 40+ hour long shift today.  She's in architecture and had some deadlines to meet.  After hearing that and the woes of the people at my internship, I truly appreciate my job.

No comments: