Sunday, October 31, 2010

three bars down

(thanks Justin for the pic.  it captured the evening better than any of mine.)

Even though I am exhausted, I decided it was worth going out for some easy drinks and what I guess was a movie.  Justin, Jen and I had plans to go to Holocene to watch a movie they were showing with live DJs (the movie is in Japanese and is subtitled).  However, we decided to go out to eat first.  We tried Speakeasy which redefines "dive bar."  However I didn't really want to eat anything there and I didn't want to trouble the bartender anymore after he seemed put out when Jen and I ordered Naughty Toddy's which was their drink special.  So we headed to our second choice, Star Bar.  This was a lot more up my alley.  The happy hour menu was good and the place was very comfortable.  The atmosphere and the nice staff were great but I will probably head back just for a chance to play with their jukebox.

I kind of wish we had stopped there but we went onto Holocene.  There was a cover which was annoying and the movie (The House) was bizarre and the DJs, while interesting, really lent nothing to the experience.  In fact, they paused the movie early on for a TWENTY minute intermission.  Intermissions should not happen or at least not be THAT long if the movie has yet to do anything interesting.  We made it to the second intermission before bailing.

So, it wasn't trick or treating but it was nice and easy.  I feel it's what I needed after last night.  I wanted to acknowledge the holiday because I do enjoy Halloween but I was looking for something low-key and I found it.

No comments: