Thursday, October 21, 2010

smackdown

Ouch.

I was coasting down the hill on SE 33rd, by the Cleveland School football field tonight on my bike.  My front tire hit a pothole and stopped while I continued on.  I flew over the handlebars and belly-flopped on the pavement.  It's as painful as it sounds.  I didn't even really know what happened at the time.  I was making good time, speeding away and then I was on the pavement.

Some nice guys nearby rushed over to see if I was okay.  I was okay but the wind was knocked out of me so, when I was able to get to my knees, I had to hold up a hand to let them know to wait until I could breathe.  When I managed to put air back into my lungs, I thanked them and walked down a bit until I could gain some composure.

As far as accidents go, it was probably my most jarring but I didn't have any road rash afterwards and I didn't knock any teeth out so it wasn't so bad damage wise.  My bike was okay too.  I busted off the front reflector and the handlebars got unaligned but that was an easy fix.  I do think that I broke some rib(s).  Both sides of my rib cage hurt but in very specific spots.  It wasn't the best way to end what was otherwise a fine evening but it did take the focus off my neck pain.

What else?
Tim, Jen, Melissa and I dined out for domestic abuse.  That was actually their slogan.  In reality, the money went to fight domestic abuse.  We went to Dove Vivi for some awesome vegan or goat cheese pizza (for the 1st time) and Beulahland for a pomegranate mint lemonade and vodka drink (for the 1st time).  I suppose the drinks helped loosen me up and delay my response time which was why I landed on my ribs instead of skinning up or breaking my wrists.

No comments: