Wednesday, October 13, 2010

a certain kind of apathy

I'm working on trying to update my blog more regularly but I'm feeling like I've exhausted myself.  Part of the problem is that I'm relying on school/internship for my new thing opportunities and I'm not actively seeking them out myself.  I'll work on that.

For now, I have another internship post.  I went to a training today on marijuana abuse.  I was worried that it would be a reefer madness type lecture but it was done pretty well.  Rather than be all super-preachy about how pot is corrupting our youth, the guy encouraged everyone to watch stupid pot smoking movies so we could understand what the youth that we work with are talking about.  I also got a lot of facts that I wasn't aware of.  I knew that Oregon was high up on the list of places where people smoke but I was a bit surprised to hear that Multnomah County is the fourth largest area in the whole US for drug use.  Wow.  The best part of the training was the interactive part.  We used the remotes, pictured above, to give answers to questions like who has done what or how young we think people are when they start smoking.

Afterwards, I got some time to talk to my supervisor about the direction of my internship.  It relieved a lot of anxiety to know what I'm going to be doing and what she expects.  Despite my post last week about being bored, I'm actually optimistic about my possibilities there.

No comments: