Friday, October 29, 2010

forget your underwear, we're free

On April 20, 2001, I drove to see my sister in Emporia, Kansas.  It was a memorable trip for me because I didn't check it out on the map and this was before I had GPS.  I had a book-on-cassette of Jack Kerouac's On The Road and no specific paths or plans.  I just went in the general direction, content to get lost and not worry about it.  I found my way easily enough and enjoyed doing so.

The freedom that is associated with the Beat Generation is intoxicating.  It's hard not to romanticize it, especially their sexual liberties.  To relate, I turn to Allen Ginsberg.  After reading Ginsberg and Kerouac, it's hard not to envision them as characters instead of actual people.  I always thought that the unrequitted love that Ginsberg felt for Kerouac was tragic.  I wanted Kerouac's character to have a passionate and romantic affair with Ginsberg's character or at least for him to be bi-curious.  However, that's not how it went down and there was not enough literary license with their pseudonyms to make it happen.  Even more beautiful and tragic was Neal Cassady's flirtation with Ginsberg which left Ginsberg heart-broken when Cassady decided that it's wasn't natural.

Tonight, I got to experience Ginsberg on a whole new level when I went to Howl at the Hollywood Theater.  It was absolutely gorgeous.  The acting in it was superb.  The animation that was interspersed in the movie was done provocatively by politically radical Eric Drooker.  I wasn't going to go to the movie tonight even after I had made plans to meet some friends there because I was feeling sick.  But I decided to tough it out and do it and I am SOOO glad I did.

Despite the tragedy of his previous crushes on straight or seemingly straight guys, Ginsberg ended up with the love of his life who he met early on and who stayed with him until he died.

What else?
Aside from the wonderful movie, the ride to the theater was adventurous for me.  I took some neighborhood roads that were unfamiliar to me.  I do recognize that I have a rational fear of potholes now.  When I am heading down a hill, I ride the brakes if it's heavily shaded at the bottom to the point where I can't see the road's condition.  I guess it doesn't hurt to be cautious.  Also, knowing that I was going to a beat movie, I decided that it was imperative that I first have a drink.  I ducked into Sam's Billiards because my options were limited based upon time.  It really wasn't a bad place.  If I was good at pool at all, I may consider going back.

Also, it was another productive day at my internship.  Dave showed me how to do orientation paperwork as I got to meet a new resident whose case I am going to be partially responsible for.

No comments: