Friday, October 1, 2010

done with one

One week down, only like 33 or so more left to go.

That's my motivation so far: get through it.  I just finished one paper (yes, it's 11:58 pm on a Friday night and I'm working on homework) and I have two more papers and one presentation due this quarter.  But hell, it's the first week and I got my first paper done so I am stoked.

I am also glad that I got one week of the internship done.  I really am liking it and I think that it's only going to continue to get better.  However, the stress that the absence puts on my other job is a bit much.  However, I could see myself pursuing a job working with homeless youth after I get done with school and my commitment to my other job.  I think that part of the appeal of working with homeless youth as opposed to adults with DD is that I can see that a change of life is likely for a lot of the youth.  With the adult with DD, there can be some changes but very few of them will achieve the level of independence and the skills set that they need or desire.  It's frustrating that way.  However, I guess I just need to reach people where they are at instead of where I think they should be.

So my new thing today was the internship.  I got to sit in on a meeting today and meet a lot of new staff members and provide a little more direct assistance (serving food and handing out clothes) to the youth.  I think I'll be just fine as long as I stay on top of the homework.

No comments: