Wednesday, October 27, 2010

dave

Today I worked on proving myself.  Among many other things, my parents instilled in me a good work ethic.  I fought against it while I was younger because I didn't feel that I could really excel in any job.  Therefore, my goal was to win the lottery.  That was the only way that I saw myself making it.  I've come to realize that I need to be more realistic and, in the meantime, I've began to work harder.

At most jobs I've had, I've started out as the lowest rung on the ladder and worked my way up.  That's the only way I think to gain a full grasp of the job and to have a sense of purpose and achievement.  With my internship, it's weird because nobody (including me) really knows what I'm supposed to be doing.  I did get a little more clarity though from my new co-worker Dave.

Dave has actually been with the organization for six years which makes him the senior guy (by a long shot) in the house support staff position.  However, he's been on vacation since I've been there so today was the first time I met him.  Since he has seniority, he has the weekday/day shift schedule which means that I'll be working with him everyday I'm there from now on.  That's comforting to me since I got along with him.

We had a health inspector call us today to say that they were going to do a random inspection so Dave and I spent the day cleaning up the place.  Not only did I get to feel like I was really making a contribution but I got cred in the eyes of the staff and the residents as well since I swept and mopped or vacuumed the place.  Besides assigning me household tasks, Dave gave me the most thorough run-down of the place and the residents that I've had since I started there.  With his help, I finally feel that I'm going to be able to thrive in this place

No comments: