Wednesday, September 29, 2010

internship camp

(Since my internship location is big on privacy, I probably won't be taking any pictures there so it will be my opportunity to post random pics)

I started my internship today, nervous as hell.  It was similar to my start at my current job's ATE program.  I was intimidated by the participants and regarded them as potentially explosive people.  However, I came to really enjoy working with the ATE participants and I could see the same thing happening in my internship.  Once a person moves beyond seeing others as categories and starts viewing them as individuals, that person can relate and interact with them better.

The participants or residents at my internship are great.  I only observed one act of defiance.  Other than that, I saw nothing but good attitudes towards the program and cooperation amongst the residents and the staff.  I think I'm gonna learn a lot...eventually.  Today, I did a lot of observing, got my food handler's card, did a load of dishes and played with the laziest (and possibly anemic) kitten.  Then I got to go home early.  I don't need this job to be a big challenge but I want to get more out of it.  However, I also realize that I have a lot to learn and I think that I'll have to be patient until I learn more.

What else?
Even though I went to serve lunch to the participants at the drop-in shelter, I still ate on my own.  I went to Food Fight at PSU again and had the vegan pizza and salad which was just awesome!

No comments: