Thursday, June 24, 2010

interstate bike path

Years ago, when I worked in Clackamas, my then-friend and current-housemate called me on my day off and asked if I wanted to go out to eat with him and our boss.  I was just browsing books at Powells downtown at the time so I jumped on my bike and made it to the Clackamas Town Center in 45 minutes.  I was proud of the time and it was a memorable ride but it was exhausting.

That was the last time I biked all the way into Clackamas until today.  Since that time, they have established the I-205 bike path which makes it so much easier.  I just bike all the way up Division and then head south alongside I-205.  I didn't even have to wear my helmet as I was on an exclusively bike and pedestrian path.  It's tempting to one day ride further than the Clackamas Town Center to Oregon City but I'll have to wait and do that some other day.  I was on the clock today so I had to make it quick.

I love biking anyway (duh) but I fought the urge to use a car instead because of the BP oil spill.  It's so disheartening.  I know that cars aren't the only usage of oil but if more people would walk, bike or take mass transit, then there would be less demand for oil and less drilling and destruction done.

What else?
I went to the Clinton Corner today which is caddy-corner from Nite Lite.  I bike by it all the time but today was my first time there.  It wasn't nearly as hipster as I thought it was going to be.  I will probably be going back there more often. 

No comments: