Monday, October 29, 2007

the long way home



26 hours in airplanes and airports.

By continually crossing timezones, you can make a day endless. Today felt that way.

The flight over the Atlantic was nine hours by itself but it wasn’t so bad. I watched Sunshine, Live Free or Die Hard, 1408 and Mr. Bean’s Vacation. Mr. Bean was mildly entertaining. Live Free or Die Hard was poorly edited and I felt like I missed the best parts. 1408 was a gigantic pile of poop that I ended up fast forwarding towards the end and Sunshine had a lot of potential and then got extremely dumb.

Going through customs was a rat-race of banality. Dominic tried to take a mini-bottle of wine off the first plane, through customs and into the Detroit airport. One of the security guys took it from him and then got concerned when he heard Al and I laughing hard at him.

The other flights were boring. I couldn’t really sleep so all I did was reflect on the past month. I did LOVE seeing old acquaintances and friends there. It was just hard. I didn’t feel that I really EARNED this month off. Plus I didn’t feel the need to escape. I love my friends, family, job and dog. Going away just made me realize that.

No comments: