Sunday, July 15, 2012

alternative states of mind

This year, Fair has been just fair. Last year, when I was getting ready to leave, I fought against the idea of reintegrating into outside society. Fair was just too fabulous. So far, this year's fair has been fun but not extraordinary. However, today made it all worth it.

I did my morning shift, found Tim who was visiting again with his friend and then went and watched a circus act. I haven't sat through a lot of the acts this year and today I was determined to see at least one. I ended up getting there early and catching the end of the Dr Atomic Medicine Show which is pretty radical. Then I watched the Eccentric something-or-other circus thing. It was a funny act with some decent stunts and a good break-dancer. Right afterwards, I was walking out of the show and the parade dragon came by so I jumped in and paraded into the Chaela Maela Meadow and danced in the sun. After that, I found a beat-boxer performing under the tent. I strolled for a bit when that was done and happened upon the Risk of Change group. I paraded with them for a while and stumbled upon Ashes, Victory and Tomas.

It was just a great several moments where I really felt like I was a part of the fair and so was everyone else and it was all beautiful. I realized that this is how fun and wonderful humans are capable of being. I'm a misanthrope in the outside world but it's easy to be a philanthrope...at least temporarily. Still, I would like to bring some of that out of Fair when I leave and into the outside world. Yeah, we're a plague on the earth as a species but we're not all bad individually and we can do some good.

What else?


After hanging out at the camp for most of the late afternoon and evening, we headed into the Fair at dark. Victory and I went to see Chris Chandler perform a late night show in the library. It wasn't as solemn as Jason Webley's late show last year but it was still entertaining. Fair wouldn't be fair without seeing Chris Chandler a few times.

No comments: