Sunday, July 8, 2012

utah'lking to me



Today I started back home and went to Utah. I have always avoided Utah. The last time I was in the state was in 2002 when I took a small vacation to explore and drive aimlessly out of Nebraska. The farthest west I got was Logan, Utah. The scenery is pretty but I never really felt comfortable here, mainly because of the Mormon predominance.

When planning my trip back, I decided to do it a little smarter than my trip to Nebraska in that I wanted to split my days up evenly so one of them didn't wipe me out and leave me pulling into my destination at 3am. I figured that Tremonton, UT was the middle point and I booked a room at the Sandman Inn there because it's dog friendly (although not as outwardly dog-friendly as the Ontario Inn).

Tremonton is a little town. I was unaware of how small it was going to be until I pulled in. Next time, I will most likely opt to stay in Ogden. However, the drive was nice and listening to various audio books helped. Tomorrow, I'll most likely just stick with the Sookie Stackhouse novels because they're entertaining and don't require a lot of thought distraction from the road.

What else?
I stopped at a little shop across from the University in Laramie. Laramie only holds one association for me and that's the Laramie Project, a heartfelt dramatic reproduction of interviews conducted with people regarding the death of Matthew Shepard. Initially, I was wary of the town but it wasn't the whole town's fault, just a few homophobes. Proudly, I wore my two unicorn/star wars shirt there.

No comments: