Monday, July 2, 2012

homeward bound

We're on the road again!

Dean and I haven't driven this road together since I brought him up to Portland for the first time in November of 2002. He was the whole motivation for me to drive back to Nebraska this week for a visit. I'll leave for Country Fair shortly after we get back so I wanted to make sure I got some quality time with him before then. A long road trip will give us ample time together and really, I like this drive generally.

Since I sold my car last month (it was a gas guzzler anyway), I rented a Ford Focus to take back. I figured the cost of the gas and rental is close to equivalent to the cost of airfare. It's more time but it's more of an adventure. Picking up the rental was a bit of an ordeal as I had to bus/MAX out to the airport, shuttle to the rental agency, deal with the rental person and then drive back into town for Dean and my luggage. I managed to hit the road quickly enough to make it to Ontario, OR before midnight. I stayed at the Ontario Inn which advertises and delivers as "dog-friendly."

The drive wasn't exciting but it was very comfortable. The car is new and I would be interested in getting one myself if I could afford a new car and if I wanted to be a car-owner again. Sophia's boyfriend had most of the Sookie Stackhouse novels on audio-book so I borrowed those for my journey which made the drive not seem so endless. Dean did an excellent job riding with me. He loves a good drive though and doesn't really care where I'm headed as long as he gets to go along.

What else?
While driving around town today for work, I stopped by the Eastside Deli because Bastard has been talking it up and it's pretty close to home. They have a wonderful vegetarian sandwich selection. It's a bit pricey but it's good quality and a fun deli style. I ended up getting a veggie french dip. I'm looking forward to making my way through the sandwich list there.

No comments: