Sunday, July 22, 2012

a masterpiece in three parts


So here's a shocker: I loved the latest (and last) Batman movie, the Dark Knight Rises.

I've loved Christopher Nolan as a director/writer since Memento. When he got money, he was able to really strut his stuff and pull off what may be the best original trilogy in film history (I would say LOTR was the best based upon a novel series). Each movie stands alone as a great film but, when you combine the three, you get interwoven stories, well-developed characters, some solid acting and beautiful cinematography.

I have to admit that I was apprehensive about how Anne Hathaway was going to play Catwoman. I have always seen her as a living Disney character. However, she did a fabulous job, comparable to Heath Ledger's job as the Joker. However, there's no comparison between Anne's Catwoman and Michelle Pfieffer's Catwoman, mainly because Pfieffer's character was written by Burton and therefore completely over-the-top.

My one critique of the movie (okay two critiques) was Bane's voice. Yes, I realize that it had to be obscured due to a mask but between Tom Hardy's muffled dialogue and Christian Bale's raspy Batman, it became difficult to get invested in their scenes. Also, I hate ticking time-bomb suspense scenes. They always seem too contrived. However, those are minor complaints considering everything I was happy with in this and the other two films.

I will probably go see it at least one more time. It is almost three hours long but it almost seems too short because I don't want it to be the end.

What else?
Andrew and I went to see it at the Roseway today after having dinner at Zien Hong, which holds one of my new favorite dishes in town: Pepper-Salted Eggplant. So good!

My new thing today was helping Ashes put up the door to Sophia's room. It's halfway there. Who knew that it'd be so damn complicated to put in a door that's already framed?

No comments: