Friday, March 12, 2010

tea time

We had an in-service at work today which meant I get to train.  In-services used to be times when I could sit back and just enjoy free coffee and donuts while listening to information that I was interested in and kind of already knew.  I guess it's only a matter of time before the student becomes the teacher.

After the in-service, I found out that one of the other case managers at work is taking a different position but still in the same department.  I'm glad I'll still get to see her around but I hate these transitions.  The high turnover in working with people with developmental disabilities really gets to me.  In my presentation last week, I noted that I have only worked at my job for seven years.  A classmate commented on how funny it was that I said "only."  My boss and her boss and my favorite co-worker have all been here for over 20 years.  I plan on being here for several more years but I do realize that all of my co-workers (with the exception of a select few) will have moved on by then.

To celebrate my co-worker's new position, a few of us went to Tao of Tea on Belmont.  It was refreshing not to go to a bar like we would typically do.  Some of my co-workers are in AA so it's only proper that we are inclusive and not go drinking.  We had a good time and it was a new thing!  Yay!

No comments: