Wednesday, December 2, 2009

it's easy as a.e.d.


CLEAR!

I took my first A.E.D. class today.  This stands for something Electrical Difibulator.  I could easily look it up and find out what the A stands for but I'm not that interested.  Plus, the machine does it all for you so why do I need to know the acronym?  All you have to do is make sure the skin is dry, follow the diagram on the back of the paddles to show where to stick them and turn on the on button.  The machine will decide, based upon the person's heart palpatations if they need to be shocked or not.  If they do, it says, "Push the shock button."  That's relying on technology a bit much but it's good if it can help save lives.

Apparently it's going to be a state-wide and then federal policy, similar to having first aid kits in every business.  They'll have to have these machines there too.  I've taken so many CPR classes in my life.  Now, with my job, I have to have it every year.  I hope I never need to use these skills but you never know.  One of my favorite managers whom I have worked with in a number of different capacities throughout the years saved a small child (who incidentally had swine flu) a few weeks ago.  The kid was in the parent's shopping cart and just stopped breathing so the manager put her up on the counter and started giving her mouth to mouth.  Pretty damn amazing day at work at your thrift store retail job when you can save a toddler's life.

No comments: