Saturday, December 19, 2009

if it wasn't for the last minute, nobody would get presents.


Every year, I think about buying gifts in August or September.  Just once, I want to be able to coast through a December without the needing to go get gifts gripping me constantly.  Each weekend, I've been intending to head down to Saturday Market.  Today was absolutely the last day I could go before I head out of town so I finally made it.

I ended up going to a vendor that I haven't bought anything from before.  I'm counting that as my new thing.  It was a lovely ride though with mild rainfall.  If it hadn't been for the commerce, I think I would have really enjoyed it.  I don't mind giving people gifts but, the truth is, if I want something, I buy it.  I don't have a large abundance of wealth but I'm thrifty enough that I can save for something if I really need or want it.

December has become about the gifts.  I'm not trying to advocate that people remember "the reason for the season" but it sucks to have it all revolve around gifts.  I'm also not a scrooge.  I can enjoy the company of my loved ones just as well as the next person.  To me, it seems like gifting has gotten in the way.

What else?
I talked it over with one of my housemates and we agreed that it would just be best if we didn't buy each other gifts but the adults of the house just went in together to get some appliance for the house that we all want.  That makes the most sense to me.  However, we're also looking at a house on 85th & Alder that rents for the same as our house now and have a lot more room.  Maybe we'll just spend our Christmas money on it instead?

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Come over the Montavilla side! I love my hood!